Nella Fantasia [In my Imagination]: Sung Bong Choi



His name is Sung Bong Choi.
As you can tell from the subtitles in the video, he's had an "extraordinary" life.

English translation of Italian lyrics of Nella Fantasia:
In my imagination I see a fair world,
Everyone lives in peace and in honesty there.
I dream of souls that are always free,
Like the clouds that fly,
Full of humanity in the depths of the soul.

In my imagination I see a bright world,
Even the night is less dark there.
I dream of souls that are always free,
Like clouds that fly.

In my imagination there exists a warm wind,
That breathes on the cities, like a friend.
I dream of souls that are always free,
Like clouds that fly,
Full of humanity in the depths of the soul.


I listened to him again as I read the translations.
I don't know if he knew... I'm not an expert on vocal, so I don't know if his technique is good.
But regardless his knowledge or skill, I think there was a story when he sang.
Song that his heart sang, wished to be heard and wished to tell, not just to others, but to himself as well.
I admire his strength in singing a song, lyrics of hope and dreams, despite the struggles he's had since his childhood.

He really puts many of us in shame and shows how unappreciative we are.
As my parents always prays, we are so fortunate family to have each other to love and to be loved, and to have a home where we can go back to.
However, we shouldn't think about our situation in comparison to his as if we have it better than he is in every aspect.
It is true that I am more fortunate than he is by the standard of societal happiness,
but I want to say he is richer than I am, because he has a more determined spirit, stronger heart with resilience that only experience can build, and countless blessings God gave him through many struggles in his life.
I think we all share the same sentiment about him, so that is probably why he is an inspiration for many rather than a subject of pity and sympathy.

As Sung Bong explained in his video, he passed the test for elementary and middle school education, and got into an art high school. In the original film, he actually explained that even though he went to an art high school, he couldn't get a proper private lessons for many reasons. The edited video, which I've posted, has a part when he explains he would go to classes and just listen.
Apparently after this show was aired, some people questioned the sincerity and the truth about what Sung Bong's story and pointed him as a liar.
The producers of the show explained and announced the public that it was the editing that created this confusion and decided to air the original uncut audition for Sung Bon Choi.
They ended with an apology and concern for Sung Bong that hope he's not hurt by this controversy.
I believe this controversy is somewhat resolved after the public announcement and apology from the producing team of the show, but there are still people who are skeptical and see Sung Bong as a liar who partnered up with the producers and made up a story for the ratings of the show.
I personally think this was all the producers of the show and think they should take more cautions in editing the film.
I hope this controversy will resolve and that he will continue on a pursuit of his passion.
I admire his courage to share about his life and to give himself a chance.
In Korean cheer, Fighting! Sung Bong Choi! 화이팅! 최성봉!

*I didn't realize that street gum-selling things like that isn't as common in America as it is in Korea (Well, it's not so common in Korea either, but people know what it is. One of my friend who is not familiar with Korea asked me that question, so I thought I would clarify).
To give you a quick example of what it's like: he is like a modern living Oliver Twist or the Little Match Girl.
It's not so much different from being a beggar.
They would sell a pack of gum for 10 cents near the subway stations, asking people to buy one.
There is not much story about him that's been publicly released (and I really hope the media wouldn't use him for such purpose),
so I can't provide anymore information than this.

5 comments:

  1. Soyeon, thank you for what you write. Since the finals a few of us are trying to bring awareness to the world. Sung Bong needs our help. If you want to know more about him and his situation, please join us at nellafantasia@groups.facebook.com
    Sung Bong is a menmber and often chats with us. Or visit his fanpage http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Choi-Sung-Bong-Fan-Page/234090876605159
    Or follow him on twitter: twitter.com/choisungbong
    All the best,

    Gitta (gitta13@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this blog post, what an incredible story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and enjoying :]!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the English version of the lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this on You tube and it might be my favorite of all time - I have watched this video over and over because it is so inspiring! Thank you for this great blog post.

    ReplyDelete